Two emergency warnings for bushfires in northern NSW have been significantly downgraded after a wind change lowered the threat to homes.
A bushfire near the town of Drake, which had jumped over a highway and headed straight for rural homes on Saturday afternoon and has burnt 53,000 hectares, has had its warning lowered to advice.
"The threat to homes has eased. Winds are easing ahead of a predicted easterly change," the NSW Rural Fire Service alert states.
Residents in the areas of Rover Park and Red Rock, who were previously told it was too late to leave have since been advised to monitor conditions.
Another out-of-control fire at Glen Innes Severn has been downgraded from emergency warning to a watch-and-act, although the RFS has continued to warn of spot fires ignited ahead of the main fire.
Residents of the Wytaliba area had been told to seek shelter as the fire approaches, and those in the Newton Boyd and Wytaliba areas should be aware of embers, the RFS said.
Overall, the number of out-of-control fires is down to two from the 14 uncontained bushfires at midday on Friday, with firefighters making the most of favourable weather conditions.
The RFS said firefighters have also taken advantage of cooler conditions to undertake back-burning around the state, but warmer and windier conditions are expected again next week.
The federal government has activated the disaster recovery allowance in Armidale, Bellingen, Clarence Valley, Glen Innes, Inverell, Tenterfield, Uralla and Walcha in NSW.
The allowance provides an additional support payment for up to 13 weeks to those who have lost income as a result of the bushfires.
It is equivalent to the maximum rate of the Newstart allowance.