Sport

COVID-19 restrictions force Benalla football program off the field

By Meg Saultry

Benalla District Junior Football League announced on Sunday it would not continue with its remaining five training sessions following Premier Daniel Andrews’ announcement regional Victoria would return to stage 3 lockdown.

League president Darren Skelton and the junior committee thanked all its volunteers, coaches and officials who stepped up in this past month to provide a safe environment for players to resume training.

GALLERY: Junior talent shine in Benalla training sessions

Skelton said the latest decision was disappointing but emphasised the health and wellbeing of the community was the league's number one priority.

And while this may spell the end of football for 2020, Skelton said the shortened program had been well received by players and parents.

“Judging by the numbers and the smiles on faces, the effort was well and truly worth it,” Skelton said.

If you would like to send a letter to the editor on this, or any subject, click this link