An English lawyer has criticised the lack of action before the London Bridge and Borough Market terror attack, saying pavements were "wide open" despite a similar atrocity three months earlier.
Eight people were killed, including two Australian women, when three men ploughed into pedestrians in a white van on the bridge, before stabbing revellers in the nearby market with 30cm ceramic knives on June 3, 2017.
The victims were Queenslander au pair Sara Zelenak, 21, and South Australian nurse Kirsty Boden, 28; Canadian Christine Archibald, 30; Frenchmen Xavier Thomas, 45, and Alexandre Pigeard, 26; and Brits Sebastien Belanger, 36, James McMullan, 32, and Ignacio Echeverria, 39.
The attackers, Khuram Butt, 27, Rachid Redouane, 30, and Youssef Zaghba, 22, were shot dead by police at the scene.
The incident came just three months after Khalid Masood mowed down pedestrians on Westminster Bridge in a hired car before stabbing a police officer to death.
Gareth Patterson QC, who is representing six families of victims of the June 2017 attack, set out his key concerns ahead of a full inquest at the Old Bailey starting on May 7.
He criticised the lack of barriers on the bridge at the time of the attack, coming so soon after the Westminster attack in March.
In the autumn, the Westminster inquest was told that no consideration was given at the time to putting up barriers between the two attacks.
Yet within a day of the London Bridge atrocity, work began to put up barriers, Patterson said.
He also said there was an "apparent failure to have any sort of regulation or security checks by rental businesses where they are renting out powerful vehicles which can be used as lethal weapons."
The barrister pointed out that rental vehicles were also used to cause carnage in Nice and Berlin.
Patterson said Butt was under investigation by security services yet was still able to plan and carry out the attack with his accomplices. It was a "very troubling and a significant issue" which he plans to pursue at the inquest.
Patterson was speaking following a final pre-inquest hearing at the Old Bailey updating Chief Coroner Mark Lucraft QC on the preparations and police investigation.
During the hearing on Friday, Jonathan Hough QC, counsel to the coroner, said counter-terrorism police had taken 2701 statements and seized "vast" amounts of CCTV footage of the attacks and the terrorists' movements.
Other evidence included body-worn video from police officers and videos from members of the public caught up in the carnage.
Hough said extensive work had been done by forensic experts on the attackers' vehicle, the knives used and petrol bombs found in the aftermath.