Saints slip-up before Christmas break

By Southern Riverina News

Berrigan were unable to capitalise on a strong bowling effort in the final Murray Valley Cricket Association Division One game for the year, going down to Cobram-Yarroweyah United by 16 runs on Saturday.

With a wicket that was hard and had no grass cover in wet conditions at Cobram, Berrigan lost the toss and were sent into the field.

Berrigan started strongly with Zac Nugent (2/10) striking in his second over clean bowling Ayden Latessa for a duck and CYU were 1/3.

Brett Andrew was next in, with both batsmen struggling to score and after 10 overs CYU were 1/22.

Lachie Pyle (2/30) came into the attack with instant success with Andrew caught for four, with CYU now 2/24.

Mitch Richman was the next man in and had only one intent; to hit boundaries.

Damien Taylor (2/16) was into his third over when he struck, dismissing Jack for 11, caught and bowled, before clean bowling Richman seven runs later.

Matt Watson and Billy Andrew were the two new batsmen in for CYU with the former caught at mid-off to have the score at 5/51.

Matthew Betts joined Billy in the middle. The two added 13 before Whelan (1/19) up ended Betts’ middle stump for a duck.

Jacob Bovalino made his way out to the centre but his innings was short lived, caught off the bowling of Nugent for a duck and with Dylan Ashcroft bowled by Simon Packer (2/11), CYU were 8/83.

Fraser Haintz (1/7) claimed the crucial wicket of Billy, charging the pitch and being stumped by Andrew Parr for 38.

Packer struck again claiming the final wicket of Dylan Langshaw with CYU’s innings coming to a close at 96 in the 39th over.

Parr and Pyle opened the batting for the Saints, with the pitch instantly playing some tricks with balls keeping low and the odd ball rearing.

CYU took first blood with Bovalino (2/15) bowling Pyle for a duck with one that kept low.

Whelan joined Parr in the middle, getting himself to two before Richman dismantled his leg stump and the Saints were now 2/14.

CYU pressure increased as Nugent made his way to the crease.

Two runs later Parr was bowled by Bovalino for nine, with the up and down of the pitch playing havoc with the Saints’ top order.

Connor Thornton joined Nugent and together started to rebuild the Saints innings seeing off the opening bowlers.

The two added 20 to the score when the introduction of off-spinner Latessa to the bowling saw Thornton’s eyes light up on the first ball, where he was caught for five and the score was now 4/34.

Nugent didn’t last much longer, with a Billy Andrew ball keeping low barrelling straight into Nugent’s back leg to be adjudged LBW for 17 and the Saints were reeling at 5/37.

~ continued page 23.