Seven keen athletes represented Finley Little Athletics Club at the NSW State Little Aths Championships in March.
Three youngsters from Jerilderie and four from Finley were lucky enough to get through two qualifiers to compete at Homebush, Sydney.
To qualify for the state championships the athletes had to succeed at the zone final in Leeton, then onto the regional finals in Wollongong.
The students, events and their placings were as followed:
● Under 11 Chelsea Winn (Jerilderie) 20th 1100m walk.
● Under 11 Reece Simmons (Finley) 20th Javelin.
● Under 12 Jasmine Burke (Jerilderie) 19th 1500m.
● Under 12 Sienna Burke (Jerilderie) 5th High Jump (new club record) and 8th Javelin.
● Under 14 Isabella Kelly (Finley) 7th Discus (new club record).
● Under 17 Kelsy Hislop (Finley)19th Discus and 13th Shot Put.
● Under 17 Allan Gardiner (Finley) 15th Javelin.
For Reece Simmons and Chelsea Winn it was their first time competing at the little aths state level.
Reece said: ‘‘Going to the training track at the state Olympic centre was pretty exciting and nerve wracking.
‘‘I felt as though I underperformed a little bit but it was all about the overall experience. It feels pretty good to finish in the top 20 in the state; hopefully I can make it again next year.
‘‘I’m always challenging myself to do better and be coached by great people.’’
Finley Little Athletics president Patrick Kelly said he was proud of the efforts by his young competitors.
‘‘It’s a very daunting experience for many of these kids when there are so many people there.
‘‘Regardless of the results, they are among the top 24 athletes in the state which is an incredible achievement.’’
Finley Little Athletics runs from August through to March, with competition every Friday night.