News

Fire destroys vacant home

by
May 16, 2018

Tocumwal Fire & Rescue along with crews from Finley Fire & Rescue and the Rural Fire Service were called to the Bruton St property about 12.45am.

A vacant Tocumwal house was destroyed by fire on Friday morning.

Tocumwal Fire & Rescue along with crews from Finley Fire & Rescue and the Rural Fire Service were called to the Bruton St property about 12.45am.

By the time crews arrived the timber house was ‘‘completely engulfed’’, however no surrounding properties were in direct danger according to authorities.

Karen Macdermid, who lives across the road from the property, said she was alerted to the fire after being woken by ‘‘strange noises’’.

‘‘At first I thought a car was running outside and that some thieves were stealing our trailer which is parked out the front,’’ she said.

‘‘About two or three bangs happened after that, so I thought the thieves were closing the car’s doors.

‘‘I quickly got out of bed and as I made my way to the front door I saw this bright light which I thought was headlights.

‘‘It took me a couple of seconds to realise what was happening and when I opened the door and I just thought, ‘oh wow’.

‘‘I felt quite safe because the house is set back, however I was concerned for one of the property’s neighbours. I ran across the road to get her out of bed and make sure she okay.

‘‘She was quite shocked when she saw what was happening and appreciated the fact we woke her up.’’

It took about 25 minutes for firefighters to extinguish the flames and a further three hours for the area to be declared safe.

The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.

The house is believed to have been vacant for more than 18 months.

By
More in Southern Riverina News
Login Sign Up

Dummy text